2017/18 Federal Financial Aid Independent Student Checklist
All forms that are not submitted on the web or electronically signed must be submitted to the NAU Financial Services Office through one of these methods:
Fax to: 605-721-5240
Scan/e-mail to: FAForms@national.edu
Physical mail to:
National American University
Central Financial Aid
5301 Mt. Rushmore Rd.
Rapid City, SD 57701
1. All Students-Federal Student Aid (FSA) Username and Password (FSA ID)
FSA ID Weblink
Or type the web address directly into your browser:
If you do not have an FSA Username and Password, you will need to apply for one through the FAFSA website. You will immediately receive a conditional FSA Username and Password on the website. Be sure to keep and safeguard this information, you will need it for future years and other processes. You will use your FSA Username and Password to electronically sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and any Loan Master Promissory Notes.
2. All Students-Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
If you have already completed your FAFSA for this award year, please use your FSA ID and make a correction by adding our school code, 004057 Rapid City SD (for all NAU campuses), on the FAFSA website.
Every award year you will need to apply for Federal Financial Aid, please use the 2017/18 year.
You will receive notification to retrieve your Student Aid Report (SAR) by e-mail within 48 hours, if you provided your e-mail address on your FAFSA. The Student Aid Report is the results of the information submitted on your FAFSA. Review all of your answers and notify us if you have any corrections to be made.
If you need to request your 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript, you can request an IRS Tax Return Transcript in one of 3 ways:
- Online (Request immediately online or by physical mail)
- In the Tools section of the homepage click “Get a Tax Transcript”
- By Phone
- Call 800-908-9946
- Select Option 2 and enter 2015 as the year
- If you filed an amended tax return, you will need to select Option 1 to request an IRS Tax Account transcript
- By paper form
- Use IRS Form 4506T, available on the IRS website: irs.gov
- Line 6
- If return filed and not amended, check box to receive a Return Transcript
- If return filed and amended, check box to receive an Account Transcript
- Line 9 = 12/31/15
- Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return
3. All students-NAU Supplemental Financial Information form- Submit form through NAU Website
- Click on the below hyperlink
4. All Students-The NAU Non-Tax Filer for 2015 Tax Year form must be completed if either the student or the student’s spouse did NOT file a 2015 Federal Tax Return, they must print and sign and submit by fax, scan, or physical mail.
- Click on the below hyperlink
- Non-Tax Filer for 2015 Tax Year
4. Minnesota Resident Students ONLY-If you are attending the following campuses: Bloomington, Brooklyn Center, Burnsville, Minnetonka, Rochester, Roseville; or if you are an OnLine student living in Minnesota.
- 1718 FA-MN Direct Deposit Authorization Electronically sign and submit
- 1718 FA-MN State Grant Application Electronically sign and submit
- 1718 FA-MN Child Care Grant Instructions
- 1718 FA-MN Child Care Grant Application Print, complete, sign and submit by fax, scan or physical mail
- 1718 FA-MN GI Bill Scholarship Complete the Application on the MN Office of Higher Education (MOHE) website.
- 1718 FA-MN Indian Scholarship Download and complete the application from the MOHE website, then submit to the MN Office of Higher Education.
Students: Previous Direct Loan Borrowers regardless of which school attended DO NOT need to complete Step 5.
STOP HERE: Do Step 5 after you have received your Student Aid Report (48 hours after the FAFSA was completed).
5. Complete Federal Direct Loan process
Parents: If you have previously borrowed a Direct PLUS Loan for THIS student, you only need to “Request a PLUS Loan”.
a. Regardless of which campus you are affiliated with, be sure to choose the “School State” as South Dakota and the “School Name” as National American University (no city listed). This should bring up NAU with a Rapid City, SD address. If you do not choose the state and school correctly, you may have problems continuing with the Master Promissory Note (MPN) process.
- Select “Sign In”. Enter your information and sign in with your FSA ID. Verify your personal information
- Choose “Complete Entrance Counseling”
- Once entrance counseling is complete, chose “Complete Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note)” and then click on “Master Promissory Note for Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan”