The Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology degree program at NAU's school in Kansas City (Overland Park) preps students for the tasks required of an entry-level surgical technologist in an operating room setting. Students are trained for this career through a student-centered, performance-based curriculum that uses ongoing skills assessments and offers real-world experience through a clinical externship.
Surgical technologists are specialists in practicing sterile technique, anticipating the needs of the surgeon, and assisting the surgeon in all phases in surgery. They play a key role in preparing, maintaining, and protecting the surgical sterile field. In addition, surgical technology is one of the fastest growing professions in the healthcare industry.
- Introduction to Surgical Technology
- Surgical Procedures Labs
- Surgical Cases
- Surgical Technology Externship
Students in some programs may be required to take online classes and attend classes at different locations.
Additional Program Info
The graduates of the program will:
- Apply healthcare laws, regulations, accreditation, licensure, certification standards, and ethics related to the surgical technology profession.
- Demonstrate the principles of asepsis and sterile technique in the operative setting.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the skills and procedures outlined by the Association of Surgical Technologists (AST) in the most recent Core Curriculum publication.
- Apply ethics, professionalism, and good decision-making skills in preparing for and participating in a surgical procedure.
- Create a professional development plan to achieve and maintain certification.
(All estimates are approximate only)
A criminal record will jeopardize a student’s eligibility for externship and/or employment as a surgical technologist.
Students considering enrolling in the Associate of Applied Science Surgical Technology program should first contact the appropriate certification agency in the state in which they reside or plan to work to determine whether certification is required to work as a surgical technologist in that state.
To read disclosure information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed this program and other important information, select the type of student that best describes you.