The Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology degree program at National American University's school in Tulsa prepares students to perform the duties expected of an entry-level surgical technologist in an operating room setting. Students are prepared for this work via a student-centered, performance-based curriculum that uses ongoing skills assessments and offers real-world experience by way of a clinical externship.
Surgical technologists are specialists in practicing sterile technique, anticipating the needs of surgeons, and assisting the surgeon in all phases in surgery. They play an important role in preparing, maintaining, and protecting the surgical sterile field. In addition, surgical technology is one of the fastest growing professions in healthcare.
Offered on ground at Bellevue, Overland Park, Tulsa and Wichita
- Introduction to Surgical Technology
- Surgical Procedures Labs
- Surgical Cases
- Surgical Technology Externship
Students in some programs may be required to take online classes and attend classes at different locations.
Additional Program Info
The graduates of the program will:
- Apply healthcare laws, regulations, accreditation, licensure, certification standards, and ethics related to the surgical technology profession.
- Demonstrate the principles of asepsis and sterile technique in the operative setting.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the skills and procedures outlined by the Association of Surgical Technologists (AST) in the most recent Core Curriculum publication.
- Apply ethics, professionalism, and good decision-making skills in preparing for and participating in a surgical procedure.
- Create a professional development plan to achieve and maintain certification.
(All estimates are approximate only)
A criminal record will jeopardize a student’s eligibility for externship and/or employment as a surgical technologist.
Students considering enrolling in the Associate of Applied Science Surgical Technology program should first contact the appropriate certification agency in the state in which they reside or plan to work to determine whether certification is required to work as a surgical technologist in that state.
“Education is the foundation for being able to choose for oneself. Helping college students complete their educational journey must be a top priority while working at NAU. The students have their whole lives ahead of them still.”
Lisa Orange – Instructor for College and Career Success CS1200 (faculty)
To read disclosure information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed this program and other important information, select the type of student that best describes you.
National American University’s Tulsa campus is conveniently located in the heart of the Tulsa metro area. The Tulsa campus has been serving students in the Tulsa area since February of 2011, and offers excellent degree programs in Information Technology, Allied Health, Criminal Justice, and Business. Located at the intersection of 81st and Sheridan Road, the campus is convenient to 169 highway.