The Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology degree program at NAU's school in Wichita, KS prepares students from diverse backgrounds to perform the tasks expected of an entry-level surgical technologist in an operating room setting. Students are prepared for this career through a student-centered, performance-based curriculum that utilizes ongoing skills assessments and offers real-world experience through a clinical externship.
Surgical technologists are specialists in practicing sterile technique, anticipating the needs of the surgeon, and assisting the surgeon in all phases in surgery. These professionals play a key role in preparing, maintaining, and protecting the surgical sterile field. In addition, surgical technology is one of the fastest growing professions in the healthcare industry.
Offered on ground at Bellevue, Overland Park, Tulsa and Wichita
- Introduction to Surgical Technology
- Surgical Procedures Labs
- Surgical Cases
- Surgical Technology Externship
Students in some programs may be required to take online classes and attend classes at different locations.
Additional Program Info
The graduates of the program will:
- Apply healthcare laws, regulations, accreditation, licensure, certification standards, and ethics related to the surgical technology profession.
- Demonstrate the principles of asepsis and sterile technique in the operative setting.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the skills and procedures outlined by the Association of Surgical Technologists (AST) in the most recent Core Curriculum publication.
- Apply ethics, professionalism, and good decision-making skills in preparing for and participating in a surgical procedure.
- Create a professional development plan to achieve and maintain certification.
(All estimates are approximate only)
A criminal record will jeopardize a student’s eligibility for externship and/or employment as a surgical technologist.
Students considering enrolling in the Associate of Applied Science Surgical Technology program should first contact the appropriate certification agency in the state in which they reside or plan to work to determine whether certification is required to work as a surgical technologist in that state.
To read disclosure information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed this program and other important information, select the type of student that best describes you.
"NAU lives and breathes their mission and core values and that alone makes it a great place to work. NAU also believes in their employees and does a great job growing their employees instead of looking outside of the organization. I admire that." Amber Frost – Campus director (staff)
About Wichita (East Campus)
National American University’s Wichita campus is conveniently located in northeast Wichita and has been serving students in the area since 2007. The Wichita campus offers the convenience of on ground classes, online classes, or a combination of both. Students can pursue an associate or bachelor's degree in a wide variety of programs. Located on East 21st Street North between Rock Road and Woodlawn, the Wichita campus is easily accessible from all areas of Wichita and the surrounding communities.