Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
The Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management (HIM) degree program provides students with the knowledge and skills required to manage health information processes in a variety of settings, such as hospitals, clinics, insurance companies, government agencies, and in healthcare technology. Through the application of concepts and theories, students will demonstrate skills in record management, leadership, administrative functions, systems and project management, data management and analysis, release of information, and technology and computer applications. The performance-based curriculum aligns with AHIMA entry-level professional competencies and is offered in a flexible online format. Specializations are available in health data analytics, project management, and healthcare technology. Students are required to complete supervised practicums.
Student Learning Outcomes
• Evaluate applications, technologies, and information systems related to health information management processes.
• Apply clinical documentation standards and revenue management policies and procedures.
• Analyze legal and ethical aspects of health information management.
• Apply leadership and management strategies utilized in health information management.
Associated Careers* Source: National Center for O*NET Development. O*NET OnLine
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Health Informatics
- Healthcare Reimbursement & Revenue Cycle
- Healthcare Law & Ethics
- Health Information Management Supervision & Management
Canada Online programs are only available to non-US citizens residing in Canada. All courses are only offered online, with the exception that flight instruction in the BS Aviation Management degree program is offered in Sioux Falls, SD.