Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Technology
This is an excellent career choice if you want to work in the in-demand healthcare field, but not directly with patients. As a graduate of the Associate of Applied Science Health Information Technology (HIT) degree program, it may be part of the job to verify the completeness and accuracy of medical records and data entry into computer systems to ensure medical record quality; to use technology to analyze for quality and efficiency of patient care; to code patient diagnoses and procedures for research or reimbursement purposes; or to work in specialized registries that maintain data for medical research.
The Associate of Applied Science Degree, Health Information Technology Program at National American University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Associated Careers* Source: National Center for O*NET Development. O*NET OnLine
- Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- ICD Coding & Pathophysiology
- CPT Coding
- Health Information Management Systems
- Medical Law and Ethics for Health Information Professionals
The AAS HIT program is offered through NAU Distance Learning. General education courses are offered online and at designated physical locations.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the AAS Health Information Technology program will:
- Apply healthcare laws, regulations, accreditation, licensure, certification standards, and ethics in the health information technology profession.
- Collect, analyze, and maintain health record content in paper or electronic mediums.
- Assign ICD and CPT codes on inpatient and outpatient records.
- Apply healthcare billing and reimbursement processes for inpatient and outpatient encounters.
- Apply quality management, utilization management, risk management, and healthcare vital statistics in the health information technology profession.
- Create a professional development plan to achieve and maintain certification.
Each program completes a yearly Annual Program Assessment Review (APAR) for CAHIIM.
Outcomes from the most recent 2016-17 program review include:
- RHIT Exam First Time Pass Rate – 69% (National First Time Pass Rate – 69%)
- Job Placement Rate – 53%
- Attrition Rate - 58%
Canada Online programs are only available to non-US citizens residing in Canada. All courses are only offered online, with the exception that flight instruction in the BS Aviation Management degree program is offered in Sioux Falls, SD.
As you advance in your healthcare career, you may want to consider a management role in your organization or expanding opportunities in health information. The Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management is a logical next step.
Additional Program Info
Additional HIT Information
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Academic Calendar
- Undergraduate Catalog
- Healthcare Information Careers
- Possibilities After Graduation
- Coding Tips and Tutoring Instructions
- RHIT Certification Exam Guide
- RHIT Exam Content Outline
- Career Resources
Current Students visit the Student Portal for more sources of information, including:
- NAU Student Handbook
- NAU Online Library
- D2L Orientation