Federal Financial Aid
National American University (NAU) offers a quality, personalized private education at an affordable cost. NAU has consistently remained one of the least expensive among private universities. Affordability options are available for every family.
NAU recognizes that many students would be unable to pursue their educational goals without financial assistance. NAU provides financial aid in the form of grants, scholarships, work study, and low-interest loan programs through federal, state and local sources.
We will be communicating frequently regarding your financial aid in the form of e-mail or through the student portal, please be sure to check your e-mail and the portal frequently.
Because of the limited amount of funds in certain programs, it is imperative that you complete and return/submit your financial aid applications as soon as possible.
If you have any outside resources helping you pay your educational expenses or the amount of the outside resources have changed since last year please notify your Campus Financial Service Representative by e-mail (see listing at bottom of page). Outsides Resources include Scholarships, non-federal grants (BIA, Tribal Assistance, etc.) Military Tuition Assistance (active duty, reserve, guards), Company Tuition Assistance, State Vocational Rehabilitation benefits, private alternative loans, Work Force Investment Act (WIA), Training Assistance Act (TAA), gifts, etc.
Dependency Determination Questions
If you meet one of these conditions (you can say YES to any one of these questions) you are considered an Independent Student and will have to provide information for you, your spouse and children. If you do not meet any of these conditions you are a Dependent Student and will have to provide information for you and your parent’s household.
- were born before January 1, 1990;
- as of today are married (including separated but not divorced);
- as of July 1, 2013 will be working on a Master’s Degree;
- are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training;
- are a veteran of the US Armed Forces;
- have children who receive at least half their financial support from you between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014;
- have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and receive more than half their financial support from you now and through June 30, 2014;
- at any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court (not ward of the state);
- are you or were you an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence;
- are you or were you in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
- at any time on or after July 1, 2012, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless;
- at any time on or after July 1, 2012, did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless;
- at any time on or after July 1, 2012, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless;
Click on the appropriate checklist for the financial aid forms and further information we need from you to process your financial aid. The checklist will tell you which forms and information we need and how to submit them.
For further information on:
NAU Scholarships Undergraduate:
- NAU Academic Excellence Award(All locations)
- NAU Affiliate/Corporate Scholarship Program(All locations)
- NAU Affiliate/Corporate Scholarship Program-YMCA (Wichita and Wichita West locations only)
- NAU Community College Course Initiative Scholarship (All Locations)
- NAU Employee of Community College or Technical Training Scholarship(All locations)
- NAU Research Scholarship(All locations)
- NAU Taller San Jose Scholarship(On Line/Distance Learning locations only)
- NAU Ultimate Medical Academy Scholarship (All locations)
NAU Scholarships Graduate (All Locations):
- NAU Academic Excellence Award
- NAU Affiliate/Corporate Scholarship Program
- NAU Bay State Corporate Graduate Scholarship Application
- NAU HDB Graduate School Scholarship
- NAU Employee of Community College or Technical Training Scholarship
The following sites are free scholarship searches:
Nursing Scholarship site
Need further financing?
A private loan is a much better option than a credit card. However, you want to make sure that you have exhausted all of your other financial aid options before deciding a private loan is necessary, such as Federal Financial Aid, Scholarships, and other aid such as state aid or even your savings. Grants and scholarships don’t generally have to be paid back and Federal Student Loans generally offer low interest rates as well as flexible repayment and consolidation options. Have you submitted your Free Application for Federal Student Aid? Have you received your Financial Aid Award Letter?
Only if you have exhausted all of your federal options, scholarships and other aid should you consider a private loan.
Once you have completed your private loan application and passed the required credit check, turn your Private Loan Self Certification Form into your Campus Financial Service Representative.
Below is a link to FASTChoice, the starting place to apply for a Private Loan. It contains a list of Private Loans and borrower benefits available from certain lenders. You have the right to choose any lender you wish to make your loan, even if you have used a different lender for one or more previous loans.
If you have any questions or need assistance completing these applications, please do not hesitate to contact your campus financial services representative. You may also e-mail your Financial Service Representative using the appropriate e-mail address below.