Tuition & Military Benefits

National American University is proud to have served students affiliated with the U.S. military since 1941. If you've served your country and earned funds to support your continuing education, NAU understands how you might access military benefits, and can help you make it happen.  Additional information on these programs and others can be found at . However, since the regulations regarding eligibility are quite extensive and many times need interpretation, please contact your local veterans service office for more details.

Reduced  Military Tuition

  • NAU offers a reduced military tuition rate with no charge for instructional or technology fee for all active and retired military servicemembers, including National Guard and Reserve who carry an unexpired United States Uniformed Services ID card.
    • Reduced tuition rate:
      $166.66 per undergraduate credit hour
      $260 per graduate credit hour

  • NAU also offers a veteran reduction rate for separated veterans, with verification of a DD-214 honorable discharge, for certain programs. NAU also offers a veteran reduction rate for courses offered through our continuing education division for all those who have served in our military.
  • National American University recognizes the sacrifices of our military spouses and dependents by offering a military family tuition rate with no charge for instructional or technology fee for all who carry an unexpired United States Uniformed Services ID card.

Military Tuition Assistance

You can make your studies even more affordable by making sure that you take advantage of your Tuition Assistance (TA) funding. Armed Forces TA funds are available to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Tuition assistance programs provide assistance of 75% to 100% of allowable tuition costs, depending on the branch of service. DANTES will pay course costs once a passing grade is received. You will need to submit the original DANTES 1562/31 three-copy form.

Military tuition assistance verification forms are obtained from your military service portal (example: Air Force Portal). You will need to provide the course codes, class name, and tuition costs per class to complete the form. Once a pre-approved tuition assistance verification form is obtained, provide a copy of that form to your financial service representative. Please keep in mind that there is a 45 and 7 day regulation to the tuition assistance cut off since it affects all branches.

If you are using military tuition assistance resources you must provide completed verification forms and complete the National American University promissory note by the first day of class. Your financial service representative can help you complete this process.

Additionally, active duty members may elect to use the MGIB "top-up" in addition to their service provided TA to cover high cost courses.

Top-Up is a program that allows GI Bill participants' to use the GI Bill to supplement the tuition and fees not covered by tuition assistance. The amount of the benefit can be equal to the difference between the total cost of a college course and the amount of Tuition Assistance that is paid by the military for the course.


Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) and Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

The term GI Bill refers to any Department of Veterans Affairs education benefit earned by members of Active Duty, Selected Reserve and National Guard Armed Forces and their families. The benefit is designed to help servicemembers and eligible veterans cover the costs associated with getting an education or training. The GI Bill has several programs and each is administrated differently -- depending on a person's eligibility and duty status. The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses.

Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, on-the-job training, flight training, correspondence training, licensing and national testing programs, entrepreneurship training, and tutorial assistance. All training programs must be approved for GI Bill benefits.This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

Yellow Ribbon Program

NAU has elected to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program to make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill entitlement. This service shows our dedication to help you get the most out of your benefits.

Veterans Educational Assistance Program

VEAP is available if you elect to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. The government matches your contributions on a $2 for $1 basis. You may use these benefits for degree, certificate, correspondence, apprenticeship/on-the-job training programs, and vocational flight training programs. In certain circumstances, remedial, deficiency, and refresher training may also be available.

Benefit entitlement is one to 36 months depending on the number of monthly contributions. You have 10 years from your release from active duty to use VEAP benefits.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

REAP is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

Vocational Rehabilitation

If you are a veteran who has a VA disability rating and an employment handicap, you may be entitled to vocational rehabilitation & employment services under Chapter 31 of the GI Bill. These services include - but are not limited to - counseling, training, education and job placement assistance.

Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA)

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)

The MyCAA program provides up to $4,000 of Financial Assistance for military spouses who are either pursuing their Associate's degree or certificate leading to employment in portable career fields.

Our Family for Families First

This website is an excellent resource for children and spouses of active duty servicemembers.  It provides information on the various grants and scholarships that are available for additional funding.

Notice to Military Service Members, Veterans, and Dependents using VA Benefits: Some VA educational programs limit the total amount of financial benefits a student may apply toward tuition, which may include cash, scholarships, and other forms of financial aid.  For more information please contact or call (877) 500-1310.

NAU Programs Explorer

Change the options below to find the program information you need.
Show All Campuses
Show All Degrees
Show All Degrees and Programs
Please Select a Campus...
["N","I am a civilian student.","I am a veteran with a DD-214 honorable discharge.","I am an Air Force Veteran with a completed CCAF degree.","I have an unexpired United States Uniformed Services ID card.","I intend to transfer credits from Garden City Community College.","I reside in Finney County, Kansas."]
updated 09/12/2016@04:44pm
*Program offerings vary by location.Contact your local campus for more information!