100 Days of Artificial Intelligence (AI) – My Journey to Embrace AI: A Look at AI Tools for Educators

star-header

by Cindy Mathena – President of National American University

In a rapidly evolving world, staying at the forefront of technological advancements is imperative, particularly in the field of education. As the President of National American University (NAU), I firmly believe it is my duty to not only keep up with the speed of technological progress but to proactively seek ways to harness these innovations for the benefit of our students. In this blog, I’ll share my journey of embracing Artificial Intelligence (AI) and how it can reshape education, with a particular focus on AI tools for educators.

Why I Embarked on This AI Journey

The decision to embark on a 100-day journey of AI exploration stemmed from the recognition that the technology is advancing at an astonishing pace. To lead an educational institution effectively in these times, it is essential to remain abreast of educational technology trends and understand how they can be employed to deliver a superior educational experience to our students. I realized that merely attending webinars and workshops wouldn’t suffice. To truly comprehend the potential of AI in education, I had to dive deeper.

What I Experienced

My journey took me into the heart of AI, where the possibilities seemed limitless. I found myself venturing into various AI applications, sometimes venturing into fascinating rabbit holes. While I could have spent hours each day exploring the myriad uses of AI, I consciously decided to limit my focus to 100 applications. Moreover, I specifically concentrated on those directly related to our role in providing a quality education to our students.

The Future Impact on Students, Faculty, and Higher Education

AI has firmly established itself in our world, and its influence is here to stay. AI should become a fundamental skill taught to all students in preparation for their future careers. As an institution of higher education, National American University carries the responsibility of teaching AI and doing so in a manner that complements students’ education without replacing critical skills. This requires creativity and openness, and NAU is committed to using AI to expand our potential and abilities to effectively teach our students. In a rapidly evolving world, higher education must not resist AI but embrace it, using it ethically and in ways that make sense for our students.

But, what about the practical aspects? How can educators utilize AI tools to enhance their respective domains?

AI Tools for Educators

1. Mindsmith – Generate online teaching content, references, or auxiliary materials.
  2. Noelej – Educators: Generate online teaching content and supplementary materials.
  3. Curipod – Educators: Develop interactive and fun classroom activities.
  4. edugo.ai – Educators: Create engaging and interactive classroom activities.
  5. teach:able – Educators: Generate online teaching content, references, or auxiliary materials.

These AI tools offer a diverse array of capabilities for content creation, making them valuable assets for educators. Depending on specific needs, these tools can be instrumental in enhancing the student experience and creating dynamic, effective teaching materials.

In conclusion, my journey into AI has reinforced the necessity of embracing technology and its role in higher education. The tools I explored serve as a testament to the potential of AI in transforming the way we educate and inform students, be it in or outside the classroom. As we continue to explore the path of educational innovation, the responsible integration of AI holds the key to unlocking a brighter future for our students and the world they will shape.

FAST FACTS

100%
Online programs for maximum flexibility
80+%
NAU students receiving transfer or experiential learning credit
100+
Relevant degree and certificate programs
21+
Years of online educational excellence