Certificate in Introduction to Private Security
This multi-disciplinary certificate introduces students to the basics of security to include legal aspects of security, workplace violence, and managing the security organization. These principles are then applied to private security. All aspects of private security including a historical and philosophical perspective are examined.
Upon completion of this certificate, students will be able to do the following:
- Analyze the business of the private security industry.
- Explore private security concepts, tools, systems integration, and law.
- Explore personal, employment-related security, and homeland security.
- Examine the legal standing of civilian security personnel, with emphasis placed on the responsibilities of security personnel.
- Develop an understanding of the United States Constitution and of the balancing of interests undertaken by courts.
- Identify legal compliance issues and learn how to manage and resolve them.
- Explain how to address common issues facing working practitioner such as background checks, searches of computers and other property, investigations into misconduct, workplace violence prevention, employee monitoring, and preservation of corporate assets/ intellectual property.
- Understand legal issues associated with investigations conducted by private and public security personnel and explain concepts.
- Assess any common behavioral traits that might exist in individuals that commit or attempt to commit acts of homicide as a means of revenge.
- Identify and synthesize specific policies and procedures that can help the employer prevent acts of revenge in the workplace
- Identify through research key documents and lectures on managing the security organization.
- Examine workplace violence from a leadership perspective; develop a security organization with traditional concerns.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate.
CJ2240 Intro to Private Security
SEC344 Protective Security Law
SEC366 Managing the Security Organization
SEC375 Workplace Violence, Workplace Security
Course availability is subject to minimum class size requirements.